Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Go with the flow

I tried to sneak out of the house without explaining to my son where I was going, but it was no use. I guess he could read the Chinese letters on my shirt.

Mommy, I want to go to Tai Chi. I really want to go.

I had been expecting this day for several weeks, from the moment he
first became
obsessed about swords and interested in fighting. I spoke to my Tai Chi teacher, who is also a Kung Fu master, who agreed to let my son visit for a class, though he rarely teaches kids that young. But my little guy freaked out two other times that I had offered to take him.

This time, the boy was ready.

So I had a serious talk with him, explaining that he would have to listen to everything I said. And then I was ready.

Most people were thrilled to see him. When he was first born, I carried my boy in a Maya wrap to class so I could get back into Tai Chi. I kept bringing him until he was climbing out of the Maya wrap and wanting to run into everything. That makes it almost three years since he last came.

This time, he stood by my side. I taught him the primary stance for greeting everyone and starting forms. He imitiated that well.

Then we started the exercises. He alternated his imitations of Tai Chi to playing with his newfound friend.

See, that's the other reason why I was willing to do this Tai Chi experiment. I knew that there was likely going to be a 5-year-old there too, tagging along with his grandma. And I had been impressed at how much Kung Fu he had picking up from 3 or 4 classes.

The two of them were just thrilled to have each other and soon they were watching each other attempt some Tai Chi and then they got distracted together.

After an hour, though, it was more play than Tai Chi and a lot of Mommy chasing around the boy, trying to keep him out of trouble and harms' way when students were practicing their swords. It was tough, though, since really it was the swords that brought my son to Tai Chi.

Still, it went along much better than I would have guessed. No temper tantrums, no serious transgressions against Mommy.

And the boy was pleased too.
Mommy, That was a good Tai Chi. Let's do that again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home