Thursday, August 18, 2005

Penguin play



My son has recently decided his new favorite toy to play with (and to make up a voice for) is a baby penguin.

This most recent bout of animal imitation comes from seeing March of the Penguins (a very fine documentary that is decent family entertainment if you haven't seen it yet.)

My son enjoyed the movie, though he wasn't thrilled with the landscape shots or the scenic vistas. Each time one of those came on screen, he would ask, "Where did the penguins go?"

Honestly, though, the penguin fascination started weeks ago. I think it was because of a playmate who has his own penguin and therefore PreciousBoy needed to have his own penguin. It didn't help, of course, that we saw Madagascar soon after that.

So for weeks, he asked for a penguin (one day, he even cried that I needed to buy him one immediately). To which, I would try to assuage him that a penguin would be forthcoming on his birthday. "Oh, my birthday," he would say.

Thankfully, I did find a penguin (they are a little difficult to find) and my mother-in-law also got a penguin puppet, just a little larger, who could be Mommy Penguin.

Guess who gets to play Mommy Penguin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home