Friday, May 26, 2006

Do over

I hate following directions.

A little independence and rebellion fuels a journalist's mindset well, but it's a bad trait for dressmaking.

At least until I get better at it.

My latest project is a cute little halter-top cocktail dress that I'm preparing for an upcoming wedding. The inspiration erupted a couple of months ago when I re-discovered about six yards of lavender satin that dates back to my wedding.

I dressed my bridesmaids in sleeveless lavender gowns, but fretted about a potential cold snap for my January ceremony, so we bought extra fabric to make shawls. Too much fabric obviously.

I had been saving the fabric, hoping for the right opportunity to start stitching. I also didn't feel like spending another $100 on a dress while I'm trying to juggling vacation spending money and house repairs.

The dressmaking has gone rather well. I did a decent job of cutting the pieces from the pattern, managed to stitch the bodice darts and the skirt well.

Then I decided to rework the bodice, knowing that some adjustments would be necessary because I am petite and short-waisted. BAD MOVE!

My changes made the bodice too loose and awkward looking and I almost gave up at 11:30 p.m. thinking it was ruined.

I regrouped and re-did the bodice, as laid out. And now it fits, not perfectly, but much closer to the intended look.

Got the hem to finish and a belt so I just hope to make my deadline. (The wedding is this coming Sunday.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home