Friday, September 23, 2005

My online life

I was having one of those moments when I thought seriously about
my age. I suppose this may happen more often as I approach middle
age.

Anyway, I was picking up my Wonderful Son from his preschool when he and
another boy were fascinated by a computer game. It clearly had
educational value. It tested reading ability and spelling knowledge.
And they were both very comfortable at the computer.

My son doesn't know life without a computer. From his infancy, he has watched his father and me being completely connected. And he will probably
never know life without a computer, or whatever is the future-day
equivalent of it.

I can still remember the first day I got to use a computer, at a
special lab at my grade school. We had to learn BASIC programming and
graphics were in its infancy.

Now I couldn't imagine life without a computer. How could I work? How
could I communicate with friends and family? I also have left a bit of
my opinion on the 'Net. I write reviews on Amazon. I rate recipes on
Epicurious. I rate movies on Netflix. You google me, and you can get an
odd sampling of the fruits of my career.

And of course, I have this blog.

I wonder, too, if this is my way of leaving my mark on the world. Ages
ago, the ancient monarchs built massive stone edifices as proof they
were once alive. It granted them immortality. Or is this a desire of
ours that we interpret in their monuments?

In this fleeting, ever-changing age, will this online identity of mine
have any permanence?

Sigh.

Ok. Thank you for indulging me for a minute. Now I'll try to get back
to reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home