Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Going to the show

I had been anticipating this event for weeks, probably making up for the fact that my 3-year-old couldn’t do the anticipating himself.
I bought tickets to see someone who is nothing short of a rock star for the toddler set.

We were going to see Elmo.

Now, my Precious Boy likes the little red guy as much as any kid, though he developed a stronger attachment to Cookie Monster when he was younger. (A kindred spirit, perhaps?)

But I knew this would be a great experience, since he would see both of them, plus Big Bird and all the others, dancing and singing.

Then today came and my son was not himself.

He’s been struggling with croup this week, this terrible seal-like, barking cough that he had suffered a number of times as a two year old. It had been months since an outbreak, so I was hoping he had outgrown the problem.

I debated going to the show. He was weary, a little feverish, and a bit clingy.

I asked him if he wanted to see Elmo today. He said yes so I popped some liquid ibuprofen into his system and headed to the show.

It was as magical for Nat as I had hoped. He was speechless, trying to absorb all the lights and the music and excitement. He didn't show his excitement, but he often isn’t when he’s watching something. He talked about it afterwards - a typical clue that he did enjoy something.

The show overall was pretty good. It was amazing to see the aerobic dance moves that these costumed characters could perform. There were a few things only an adult could enjoy – Elmo doing a tango, and Oscar the Grouch (who temporarily lost his green color and his grouchiness), asking “Won’t you be my neighbor?” There’s not a single child in the room who would get that.


So, I was glad we went, though you could never tell from this face that he had a good time. (He fell asleep in the car on the way home.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home