Sunday, October 02, 2005

Tuva revisited

My new obsession with Tuva continues.
(If you need a refresher, see this post.)

And I've finally roped my Darling Redhead into the whole thing.

The other night, we watched this amazing documentary, Genghis Blues, about a blind San Francisco bluesman who teaches himself how to do Tuvan throat singing.
Just for good measure, the documentary includes bits about a Nobel laureate, Steve Milelr and a lots of camels and sheep.

It is a low-budget feature, but it is an endearing tale about music, friendship and crossing cultural barries.

Unfortunately, my husbands never heard the Tuvans when they came to Daytona. But watching the movie, he is now inspired. He has even been testing his vocal range to see if he can achieve the throat singing as well.

However, I think I need to coax him a little more to do the Tuva trip. There was this one particularly brutal scene in the movie featuring a lamb slaughter, so he is very worried about how a vegetarian would survive over there.

If this would be the only thing stopping me from a trip to Tuva, heck, I'd bring a whole boxload of chick peas and peanut butter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home