Wednesday, January 25, 2006

At some point, there will be a patron saint for bloggers.

Or at least some Catholic is going to find one.
I think it is one of the things I really like about being Catholic - having a huge squadron of saints available to cover specific geographic areas, take care of particular issues, or protect specific professions.
Yes, you could simply have a personal relationship with God and Jesus, but isn't it nice too to have an additional friend who can help to put in a good word for you with the Almighty? Someone who has a proven track record with said deity?

Yesterday, Pope Benedict XVI issued
this message
, with his urging that journalists be responsible and search for truth. Papal announcements aimed at my profession don't come everyday, so I was curious.
Then I found the kicker: that the pope released this message to coincide with his feast day for the patron saint of journalists:
St. Francis de Sales
. I never knew there was such a person.

Now, truth be told, another Catholic website said that journalists can also turn to St. Paul the Apostle, and St. Maximillian Kolbe.

But In the meantime, I'll be searching for a little St. Francis de Sales statute to stand next to my laptop. Seems the only wares available are little medals, though eBay has a relic of his on sale at the moment.

2 Comments:

Blogger MrsFortune said...

Yeah, I always envied you Catholics that! Us Jews don't have anything - I mean, who are we to pray to if we lose something, need money, want our house to stay clean or if we're having car problems?

The patron saint of bloggers: St. Webus the Prolific

I've got a medal.

(I found your blog through crazyhipblogmamas, like it a lot! :) )

7:51 PM  
Blogger BlueBabae said...

MrsFortune, welcome to my board!

You may be lacking saints, but I wouldn't mind having a Golem of Prague. (And he's nothing like that pale waif of Lord of the Rings, for those of you unfamiliar with this particular legend.)

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home