Monday, August 21, 2006

The science experiment has begun

I tend to think that just about every kid who reads the Eric Carle classic about the very hungry caterpillar would fall in love with that book. My son is no exception.

What's really cool is now we're living the experience at home.

One of my favorites among my boy's birthday presents this year is a "live" butterfly garden. You get a butterfly mesh "cage." The larvae are sent to your home via express delivery and you set up the little caterpillars for your child to watch as they eat their food, get big, and go do their metamorphosis.

What's even better is that, given the short time frames involved, you get instant gratification from it. I was amazed at how quickly the larvae got big and then wove their little cocoons. The short span is perfect for your typically impatient preschooler.

At the moment, we're taking our first big lesson in waiting, since we have a week before the butterflies emerge.

But my boy is still very excited and asks to see the cocoons as often as he can. If all goes well, we should have five butterflies this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home