Monday, October 23, 2006

Return of the Sith

Following weeks of deliberation and indecision, a crucial choice has been made.

My son -
who was a big hit as the Jedi Master Yoda last Halloween
- is turning to the Dark Side of the Force.

I take full responsibility that my boy is fascinated with Darth Vader. After all, all our trips to Burger King to collect the Star Wars toys may have been more for me, than for him. And of course, I had to buy him the Darth Tater and I already owned a lightsaber when he showed an interest in being Yoda last year.

Still, I thought his interest in Star Wars was only a passing phase, that surrendered to his newfound love of other superheroes.

But it was all a fleeting interest that seemed to change daily, as he changed his mind on Halloween costumes.

From Superman to Batman to Robin Hood to a knight to Robin Hood back to Batman to the Red Power ranger to a pirate to the Red Power ranger and finally to the most obscure hero, the Hawkman.

I was quite uneasy with that last choice, knowing it would be impossible to find such a costume.

The moment of truth finally came when we stood in the costume store, seeing what was available. He saw the red lightsaber and there was no turning back.

True to form, my son has been wearing his new Darth Vader outfit regularly. He walks around the house, grunting as deep as he can - "hoh ..... purr ...."
And then he escapes into darkened rooms, his lightsaber lit and waves his weapon in the arm, singing the Imperial March that is truly the Sith Lord's musical theme, just as in one of his favorite cartoons.

The Dark Side has never been so adorable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home