Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Holy Cow!

Sometimes, a celebrity dies and with that death, you say good bye to a piece of your childhood.

NY Yankee shortstop and longtime TV broadcaster Phil Rizzuto passed away and as I read his obit today, a memory resurfaced.

I am 6 or 7 years old, it is the dog days of summer, a lazy Sunday afternoon, and my dad has the Yankees game on WPIX, Channel 11. My baby sister and I are playing, I don't even remember what. But some Yankee hit a home run and as Rizzuto called the game, he called out his trademark phrase "Holy Cow" as that ball finally landed in the stands. I can replay his voice in my head and it brings me back to that time of my life.

Rest in peace, Scooter. You will be missed.

1 Comments:

Blogger verandah place said...

considering i was 2 or 3, i don't quite remember him saying "Holy Cow" but i do recall the scenario. Always WPIX, Channel 11, and I was probably wearing a Yankees cap at the time too. :)

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home