Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Anatomical correctness

I miss the privacy I once had, before I became a Mom.

For me, one of the biggest challenges of motherhood was accepting that my private moments in the bathroom were no longer private. The choice was either keep the door closed and listen to their crawling baby scream at the door until you're done, or to allow him in, just so that he doesn't know you've run away.

I tried the screaming bit. I couldn't deal.

When he grew older, I tried to reason with him that Mommy need a moment to herself. But then he'd figure out how to open the door and barge in anyway.

And it's inevitable that when we have to go to a public restroom, I simply have to let him watch me, or risk having him run around a strange bathroom while I'm in the stall. And there is no way that is happening yet.

Now, understand, I breastfed this child and I'm not a hyper-modest person. But I have really had a hard time with this part.

Lately, I've tried to make an effort to re-establish some privacy, in that I don't let him watch me change or I don't let him come in when I'm showering.

But he loves walking in while I'm in my underwear, and he'll yell: "I see your boobies!"

Frankly, he is a bit booby-obsessed. He screams about seeing my boobies any time I have on a camisole, or if my neckline is even a little low. It doesn't matter if he sees the nipples or not - just my minor cleavage is enough for him. He has asked me several times, about why do I have boobies, why don't boys have boobies, what are boobies for, do all women have boobies, etc. etc.

Tonight, I had one of those moments which left me speechless. We were drawing pictures and he likes to draw things in family units. So when we went through a shark phase, he would draw Daddy Shark, Mommy Shark and Boy shark.
At the moment, he is fascinated by mermaids. So we were drawing a mermaid family and I was assigned to draw the mommy mermaid. I was drawing the tail when my son reached over.

He added two curves to the mommy mermaid chest and said, "Don't forget the boobies. A hump and a hump."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home