Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Road trip

I tend to worry too much about big trips.
I have always loved travel and always took in stride the long hours - either in flight or in cars - required to get to my destination. But I worry too much these days, since I've got a 4-year-old to entertain.
My son did well during our Portland trip but now we were embarking on a different journey - an 8-hour drive to see his cousins for Thanksgiving.
So we did just as my parents did, and left most of the driving for the night, so that keeping the kid happy during waking hours wouldn't be a problem.
We left home 10:30 p.m. last night, departing from the bizarre winter chill in Florida (48 degrees!) in a spitting rain. My boy was already very excited to see his cousins, so he tolerated being woken up and strapped into the car. Within 5 minutes, he was asleep, as was my husband, leaving me the night owl to take the first driving shift.
Some three hours later, somewhere south of Savannah, Ga., my boy woke up and started cracking jokes.
Do you smell a smell?
It's ditch water!
I laughed at him quoting one of his favorite Thomas the Tank Engine goofs. And he barked his heartiest laugh, a sign that he was wide awake. Which was all good because I felt myself starting to fade.
We stopped for gas and for potty breaks and switched drivers. It was a half hour more of jokes before he could finally get back to sleep.
There is nothing more surreal than quoting Thomas the Tank Engine at 2 a.m. in the rain, driving through the Peach State.
Then he had to ask: "Are we there yet?"
I almost burst into tears, it was so funny.
"Don't you start that now, mister!" I teased him. "Go back to sleep."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home