Saturday, April 14, 2007

Mystery meat

I love Easter for all the traditions that can be so comforting - the new spring dresses at Mass, the jubilant songs, the dyed eggs and chocolate bunnies and a big family meal.

My recent Easters now include this strange deception we play with my father in law.

I'm not a big meat eater - never had been and that's even more so true because I'm married to a vegetarian. Still, I won't forgo all meat, especially those that I associate with tradition. To me, that means lamb for Easter brunch.

However, my father-in-law hates lamb. Or at least he says he does. My mother-in-law knows better, though, and a few years ago, as I planned the family brunch and I fretted over his distaste for lamb, she told me to go ahead, don't worry about an extra entree, and just don't tell him it's lamb.

I was stunned. I worried about what kind of fiasco this would create, but she reassured me this would all go smoothly.

Then it was Easter Sunday and I proudly whipped out all my dishes, including a plate full of lamb chops. The question came up from the father-in-law: "What is this?" According to the pre-planned strategy, my mother in law took care of the lie and told him it was pork. My husband and I said nothing.

We ate, chatted and believe it or not, my father in law was completely fooled. He ate every bite of the lamb and declared it was one of the best meals he had had.

Later, my mother in law laughed and told me that we had been honest and told him, he would have never taken a bite.

This Easter, yet again, we succeeded with this strange game again, only this time, I deftly avoided having to lie by pretending I never heard the question. Which, sadly works these days because he's getting hard of hearing.

My Catholic conscience keeps telling me there must be some sin I am committing by doing this, but I find the whole situation so ludicrous, I can't stop playing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I will admit (with no guilt) that I lie to my in-laws about what I am serving them every time they come to visit. They have been on some twisted form of Atkins for at least three years.

"No filler in these crab cakes!"

"Oh yes, this is low-carb dressing."

etc.

11:58 AM  
Blogger BlueBabae said...

What else can we do?

I certainly wouldn't risk anything that would cross the lines of allergies or sneak some meat into my vegetarian husband's diet.

Somehow I'm OK with this since, it's not like he's against eating meat because he eats everything else. He just has some quirky idea that he hates lamb, but yet he devours it if served to him. It boggles my mind.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home