Saturday, April 01, 2006

Lumpy blanket

One of the great things about 3-year-olds is that a simple joke can take on a new life and become a game. An obsession, even.

A couple of weeks ago, my son hid under his favorite blanket. I decided to play along, saying, “Oh, I can’t see you. But wait? What is this? It’s a lumpy blanket.”

I patted the top of the lumpy blanket, provoking a fit of giggles that would not stop.
Then I pulled the blanket off, discovering the giggler underneath.

We took turns being the lumpy blanket.
We added variations to the lumpy blanket: the rolling lumpy blanket, the kicking lumpy blanket, the lumpy blanket that tickled anyone that tried to pat the lumpy blanket.
We did lumpy blanket in his bedroom, in my bedroom, on the couch. We have used every blanket in the house at least once for this. My own bed seems to be in a constant state of being unmade because of all of this.

Today, in the span of a 10-hour day of play, we did about 5 rounds of lumpy blanket.

Funny thing is, when it’s actually bed time, my son throws off the covers.
“I don’t want my blanket now,” he whines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home