Monday, August 27, 2007

Natural selection

It was a lazy Sunday morning and we were late for church. We slipped into the back of the chapel, and stood while we waited for a good opportunity to slip into a pew.

While we waited, an adorable toddler girl stood nearby, staring at us. She wore the cutest little fuschia dress and she had a big smile.

I pointed her out to my son, who stared back then hid behind my leg.

"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Mommy, I'm shy to girls."

Honestly, I found that confusing because in his 5 years, he has never shown that kind of shyness before. Sometimes, it takes him a minute to warm up to people, but once he's comfortable, he acts his normal, talkative self. And he has friends who are girls, and even once claimed to have a girlfriend.

I decided to explore the matter further.

"But honey, you're not shy with me, or with Nana."
The difference was simple. "Mommy, I'm shy with little girls. I'm not shy with big girls."
"But why are you shy to little girls?"
"Well, if I was a girl, I would be shy to boys."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home