Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Life questions

In a little over a month, I'll hit a new milestone in my life - the age of 35.

I guess it's been all the turmoil at work that has me thinking a lot about my age, what I've done and what I will do for the rest of my life.

While pondering the potential plan B's, I made a comment about how hard it would be to change careers, if I must. My friend replied that even if I were to change careers now, I could still work for 30 years, and given the lifespans these days, I could.

Which is why news like this seems so strange to me.

I just got word that one of my high school classmates just died.

A week ago, I learned that she was in the last stages of her illness.

Brain cancer.
At age 35.

On Tuesday morning, she passed away, leaving behind a husband, a young daughter, her parents and sisters.

Though we took most of the same senior year classes together, we were never that close. But I still knew her and she was a familiar part of my life for 4 years and I have very distinct memories of sitting across from her in my Russian literature class, discussing Tolstoy.

I do feel sadness, but really, I'm confused more than anything else. How could this happen? Why her? These are questions that no one can answer and yet there are so many, especially her loved ones, that must grapple with this.

Laura, wherever you are, I wish you peace. And no more pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home