Sunday, March 23, 2008

Word play

Curious George has always been one of my favorite cartoons for my son. The humor is pure comedy, age appropriate, with no situations or innuendo that would ever concern me, unlike other kid's shows.

And now I have another reason to like the cartoon.

Today, at Easter dinner, I served my son an obligatory leaf of the salad I served. He has learned to eat the 2 or 3 leaves I give him. Hopefully, we will move up to a full salad one day.

I ask him if he knows what he's eating. He shrugs.

Arugula, I tell him. I love the sound of the word. I roll the r, and voice the g from the depths of my throat. I purr.

Oh, he says. I heard of that. The chef in Curious George cooked with it.

I am stunned by his response. Here I am trying to impress him with a strange word. But it turns out his cartoons are gourmet enough that arugula is nothing new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home