Monday, February 18, 2008

The mojo-mom

Of all the changes that 2008 wrought, the biggest was the loss of the office that had been my base of operations for a decade.

But I vowed I would make the change work for the better for me. I could work out of my home, with all the little perks, and new foibles, that came with it.

The work-balance is much better. There are times throughout the course of a normal day, when nothing is really happening, which makes it a perfect time to multi-task and run something in the washing machine or dryer or dishwasher.

The boy is adjusting to this new situation. He has interrupted me on interviews and he has come to enjoy his own perk of convincing Mommy to let him visit his favorite website.

And then there are days like today. Presidents Day is a school holiday and the husband needed to make a trip to Fort Pierce for a morning meeting. I had promised to watch the boy in the morning, but of course, breaking news broke through and I needed to get to DeLand to 1 p.m. for an assignment.

So we planned a rendezvous for the child transfer. We weren't sure if it would work but we would try. I whipped up some lunch, while I got into court-appropriate attire.
He ate in the car and I dashed to the meeting place. Husband called, running late.
We reconfigured our rendezvous to a gas station just off the Interstate 95 exit that put me right on the straight road to DeLand.

Thank heavens they weren't monitoring the road for speeders.

I made it just in time to hear the sentence pronounced and to get the crucial interviews afterwards.

All in a day's work, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home