Thursday, February 14, 2008

Willpower and weakness

It's the belief embodied in the yin-yang symbol, the opposites changing and transforming from one form to another in a constant cycle.

But it's a little disconcerting to experience such shifts from one opposite to another in the span of a few hours.

This morning, the outdoor thermometer read a rare (for Florida at least) 40 degrees and the windows were sweating with condensation. But I am determined to make my 5K goal, so I bundled up, adding layers, wrapping my head in a scarf and putting on the gloves. And I ran.

My running has improved, incrementally. And my layers kept me warm, for the most part, though I still felt some numbness in my fingers.

That is dedication.

But just a few hours later, I sat in a morning meeting and stared at the box of donuts. I had eaten and I know I really didn't need the extra calories, but if I can claim any weakness, it is definitely weakness for my favorite foods.

And I gave in.

I'd like to sit around and justify one for the other, that I can enjoy a donut since I'm running so much. But the reality is that I'm just human and it can be so hard to stick to the program all day long. Especially when the sugar beckons as a stress reliever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home